Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Saturday, September 16, 2006

I Gave In To Temptation

I was looking for one book. Just one. And I came home with six books and two magazines. I have admitted to this problem before, so I know it's not denial. Do I need a sponsor? Here is what I bought: The New Yorker dated September 18. GQ with Clive Owen on the cover. (Oh my. Clive is kind of yummy. Oh boy.)(Sorry Honey.) Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme by Chris Roberts This book fits right in with my love of word origins. On Beauty by Zadie Smith I have heard a lot about this book and so now I'll read it. Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs I love Augusten. In a literary celebrity death match, he would beat James Frey into a million little pieces. Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office by Shiya Ribowsky and Tom Shachtman My fascination with jobs that don't get talked about much. Pairs with Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach which I read a year or two ago. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert I read about this book before going to Mexico and knew I would buy it eventually. Then I read an article in GQ about she and her boyfriend on a walking tour through France. I didn't realize it was the same author, so that made me more excited to read this book. It also made me want to do a walking tour through France. Well, let's be honest here, saying the word "France" makes me want to go there. Or Italy. Just typing that makes me want to look up how much flights are to Italy. If my DSL were fixed, I would do it. ¡Pinche Dial-up! I digress. I love the cover of this book: And the book I actually went into the store to buy: New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook Guided Practice in the Five Basic Skills of Drawing by Betty Edwards A new and dear friend from Mexico suggested the book, but I ended up buying the workbook by mistake. Oh dear. That means I have to go back to the store. (I'll think about that later.) Since being back, reading has been important but I also feel I have so much that needs to be expressed about my summer in Mexico. There is so much intensity and color that needs outlet. I'm not sure how it will come out so I'm exploring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home