Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Friday, December 09, 2005

Reading on Maui

It has been a week since I've written and quite a week. We arrived on Maui last Friday and had a relaxing weekend, then went to the Big Island where it was tons of driving and visiting. I saw people and places I hadn't seen in years. And ate yummy ono food that I haven't eaten in years. Malasadas! Mmmmmmm. In between all the driving (it is a Big Island after all) I did manage to finish reading Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. I enjoyed it though it didn't have the depth and punch of Angela's Ashes -- what could? But reading his story of teaching and "what am I doing with my life" musings all the while knowing he would be writing his Pulitzer Prize winning book after the teaching career was over is nice. I got caught up with his frustrations and trials and errors of teaching, feeling like "yeah, how are you going to expand your life like you want?" and then pulling back to real life and remembering that he is a very successful writer. Now I think I will move on to Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door (by Lynne Truss). This was one of four books my mom had waiting for me here. The other three were "Broken for You" which I will now take off my Amazon wish list, "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith and "Saving Fish From Drowning" by Amy Tan. I have never read any Amy Tan -- Yes, shocking, I know, I never read the Joy Luck Club. The weather is beautiful and it is always nice and easy to be home on Maui. I am looking forward to being home in LA and getting ready for Christmas. This will be the first year we will have a tree in about 3 years. We are usually off to other family member's houses for the holidays. I love having a tree and a fire in the fireplace and christmas music on the stereo. My favorite Christmas album? You'll have to click here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

Julia:

Interestingly enough, I found this book at least as enjoyable as Angela's Ashes. Definitely lighter reading.

12/11/2005 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks for reading and commenting, Ram! I appreciate any and all feedback. Keep coming back...

12/14/2005 08:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home