Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Monday, November 28, 2005

In Between

I went Christmas shopping at Barnes and Noble yesterday. Of course I won't tell you what I bought as someone who will be receiving might be reading this...It was hard not to buy all kinds of books for myself. But I was on a mission, and mission accomplished. Okay okay, I did buy myself one book: Why Do Men Have Nipples? Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini (by Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg) I wanted to sit and have a coffee and chill out and read something. So I grabbed it at the last minute from the "grab me at the last minute" shelf by the cash register. I got myself a nice egg nog latte and sat and read. The book is amusing and interesting, but really much lighter than I anticipated. The writers seem to enjoy their own writing more than anyone else. They created two kinds of interstitials in the book. One introduces each chapter and involves the two writers at a party, creating the scene that leads to the type of questions for each chapter. The other is a series of instant messages between the two of them as they are working. I read half the book yesterday and stopped reading both of these interruptions after the first of each. I just want the guts of the book, stop distracting from it! It is a good coffee table or bathroom or guest room book. Lightly informative, lightly entertaining. After I got home, I was talking with my mom and told her I was bringing Julie and Julia home with me for her to read. She said, "Oh! I was going to give that to you for Christmas!" Oh well. I guess she'll have to find something else for me to read as a gift. (Check the Amazon wish list.....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home