Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Books and Movies

I wrote a little bit about books being made into movies earlier. I think most people agree that the books are always better. The two films that I think lived up to the books that inspired them are To Kill a Mockingbird (by Harper Lee) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (by Ken Kesey). Have you seen them both? Have you read them both? Mockingbird is on my Re-Read shelf and I just read it again recently. Cuckoo's Nest I read in high school. I have not read it since then. It's a tough read, heartbreaking. It might be interesting to read again now, as a grown-up or whatever I am. I'm thinking about this because we went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on Friday night. It was fine and entertaining and all. I like seeing the Weasley kids on screen, especially Fred and George. But how can you take a book that is 734 pages long and write 150 pages of script? There is so much good stuff that gets left out. Of course you can't put it all in. I know that. Seeing the movie makes me appreciate the book and J.K.Rowling even more. (J.K. Rowling is only 2 years older than me and for some reason that makes me glad -- not sure why!) Oy, I'm just rambling here.....more coherent stuff soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home