Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Distracted by Christmas!

The time gets away from me. Most of the gifts were purchased, it was just the wrapping, shipping, labeling, delivering, etc etc etc that got a bit nutty. Now the week slides nicely along until Sunday. The tree is up and pretty and Mouse (who you saw earlier) is snuggling nicely beneath it, waiting for Santa to bring her more food. I am still in the middle of Stephen King's On Writing. I spent most evenings over the week getting caught up on magazines. I do look forward to a return dip into his book. A friend and loyal reader and my blog inspiration recommended this great book, (Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything). I have already read it and found it fascinating. The authors, Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner, take data and look at things that most people haven't looked at with the same data. For example, did legalized abortion bring down the crimes rates 20 years later? Also, when you look at the numbers, backyard swimming pools are more dangerous than guns. In similar veins, I recommend The Tipping Point and Blink, both by Malcolm Gladwell. Now I'm off to buy stocking presents for my lovely husband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home