Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Travel Bookstore

I love bookstores almost as much as I love reading. I also love travel bookstores. The funny thing is, if I don't have a trip planned, then a travel bookstore is almost too much to handle. Overload. But when we do have something scheduled, then it is a blast. Especially for somewhere new. A couple years ago when we were planning our honeymoon, we spent time at our #1 favorite bookstore. While finding great books on Italy and Portugal, my husband also bought Lonely Planet: Trans-Siberian Railway. This was a surprise but I think we read the whole thing and then put that adventure on our list of things to do. Vladivostok to Moscow on a train sounds wild and fascinating and great. So many things to do! Our other favorite travel bookstore is Traveler's Bookcase. (The website is not very deep.) It is not quite as comprehensive as the CA Map and Travel store, but it is cozy and has great writing accessories, journals, etc. Not to mention it rates highly due to its close proximity to Joan's On Third. The staff at both bookstores are always very helpful and friendly. And next door to the Traveler's Bookcase is the Cook's Library. Also overwhelming, but great for so many different kinds of books on cooking, not just cookbooks. Yesterday we went to the CA Map and Travel and you may find it hard to believe, but I bought a couple of books. I bought a new guide book for Paris called Romantic Paris by Thirza Vallois and Juliana Spear and a memoir of sorts called A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke. Fortunately, I have been to Paris enough times that this trip for me will be more about hidden spots and quiet streets more than the D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. So a book like Romantic Paris looked like a great start. I wish there was a volume of City Secrets for Paris. We used City Secrets for Florence, Venice and the towns of Italy and had a blast seeing things we probably never would have with a conventional guide book. City Secrets are great addendum to regular travel guides. Can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home