Julia's Bookshelf

I am a reader. I love books. I want to share this love.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Welcome to My Bookshelf

Recently an acquaintance and I were talking about books. She asked "Do you read?" I looked at her for a moment thinking, what a ridiculous question, of course I read, but then I understood her true meaning. Before I could answer she continued, "Are you a reader?" "Yes," I said most sincerely, "I am a reader." I have been reading since I can remember. I can't claim to be like Scout -- reading since I was born, according to Jem. But I can claim to have a nose in a book since I was at least 7. The first real grown up books I remember reading were "Little House in the Big Woods" and "Little House on the Prairie." They were a gift, from a grandmother? An Aunt? That I don't recall. These books were a magic machine. I was transported to a place that was foreign to me -- the frontier of America in the 1870's. Pioneers, covered wagons, territories, Indians, blizzards, what crops, the Prairie. What on earth was a Prairie? I grew up in Hawaii. Ocean, warm sand, no winter, the Tropics. I wanted to go to that place, THE PRAIRIE. (I eventually did when I was 31, but that's another story for another day.) I was hooked on books. My mother would take me to the one real shopping mall (Ka'ahumanu Center) on our island (Maui), with the one real bookstore (Walden Books). Every time we went, I was allowed to get a book, sometimes more than one. Any other store that sold anything else I might want -- toys, candy, clothes, shoes, whatever -- they were off limits unless it was back to school time or I paid for it out of my allowance. Books were the great indulgence my mother seemed happy to pay for, no strings attached. To this day, no matter what my budget, books are always on the list of "always okay to buy" along with food and electricity. I am fortunate enough with income that I can buy books whenever I want. I only hold back when the To Read pile is awfully high (like it is now). Books! Books! Books! Oh god I love them. I won't go on all night. I just wanted to start this. My plan? Just to share what I'm reading -- what I have read, what is on the To Read pile coming up. Whatever else comes up, that will be a wonderful surprise. Happy Reading. Julia

3 Comments:

Blogger brk said...

Jules: Let me be the first to welcome you to the blogosphere! Admittedly, I don't read as much as I should (I currently have more than 7 books/novels backlogged, including MIDDLESEX which you lent me) but, nonetheless, I wholeheartedly welcome this blog and your worldly opinions.

"Now the student has become the master." - Darth Vader

10/26/2005 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Missy!
I was just in the library today thinking what a cool thing libraries are! It is not the same feeling as a book store but if you haven't been for a while, I highly suggest it.
I enjoyed reading your comfy list and look forward to hearing more about the books you are reading. Love ya, Gertie

10/29/2005 08:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia my friend, I'm reading GOULDS BOOK OF FISH and its WILD. I too loved MIDDLESEX. I love epic novels which effortlessly transport me to another world. I find factual stuff hard work at times. Have you read the author Zadie Smith? Excellent.
Books made into movies must be read before being viewed as the movie is almost always a dissapointemnt and rarely transcends the book.
Another good read THE TIME TRAVELLERS WIFE. Keep reading!

11/09/2005 08:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home